How Great Design Helps Your University Website Generate Leads
Want to keep up with your competition? Focus on your website! Like any other business, colleges and universities need to remain competitive – attracting visitors to your site, generating leads, encouraging clicks and ultimately winning new students. Don’t let potential students view your school like a dusty old book due to lacking technology. Just spruce up your website to keep pace with digital trends – and make smart design changes that will continue to be relevant now, and into the future (just in time for your next website redesign).
Five website design trends to incorporate into your higher education site
Refresh! Reimagine! Rejuvenate! Consider breathing new life into your school’s website with all of the following up-and-coming design techniques:
- Go modular. Templates are great when you need to display the same type of information on multiple pages. Though consistency makes sense within sections, it helps to add visual interest to pages across different sections. Modular design components allow you design a page that subs in different elements for differing aesthetics and functionality. Plus, modular designs give you the flexibility to make updates as needed – a rigid page template makes this more difficult.
- Be responsive. If your website isn’t yet mobile responsive – the time is now. More and more online users will visit your site by smartphone or tablet, and if it doesn’t adapt to that device, they’re going to move on. Not to mention, Google now ranks sites based on mobile compatibility, so you can land higher in Google searches when your site is mobile responsive. This one small change makes it easier for potential students to find you – which can increase your enrollments.
- Tell your story. The world loves a good story. Your website should convey yours through design – by incorporating images, videos, a compelling history page, student testimonials, etc. Your brand (which is all part of your story and what you represent) shouldn’t be hidden from your audience. It should be front and center on your homepage and easy to see as visitors scroll through your school’s site.
- Get emotional. People shop based on an emotional connection – we stick with the brands that mean something to us. Think about every Super Bowl commercial. Advertisers don’t spend big bucks without the goal of connecting with the audience to make sales. Your higher education website can do the same thing! Choose pictures, videos and graphics that will catch people’s attention and capture their hearts.
- Make navigation easy. Pathways to find popular items should not be difficult to travel. Visitors will want to know more about programs offered, tuition assistance, cost of an education, student life, campus activities and how to apply. Your site should make it easy to navigate all of this information.
Next steps to improve your university website
If you’re not feeling confident in your web design skills, you might benefit from the support of a website development company. This way, you can rest assured your site improvements are on point and your site delivers the functionality visitors require.
Let RightWorks guide your next website development project
We’ll work with you to meet – and exceed – your website design needs. To learn more, contact us today!